My Personal Statement of Faith
My first book, A Tempered Faith, was written during the time of my spiritual transition. It is the documentation of my personal journey to a greater understanding of being a Christian. My other books, A Teachable Faith and A Treasured Faith, detail the spiritual growth that has taken place since my conversion.
Prior to September 11, 2001, I was Biblically illiterate. My previous mindset consisted primarily of the knowledge that "there is a God"... but my comprehension of Him was superficial and shortsighted. Although I believed in God and had heard that Jesus was sent here to live and die for our sins, I never understood the severity and consequences of my sins or the intensity and full meaning of Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection - until after September 11. There are remnants of that spiritual immaturity in A Tempered Faith, but I believe that is part of the beauty of watching a person's journey unfold. One cannot appreciate the progression of one's faith unless they see the whole picture, spiritual ignorance and all.
Before 9/11, I did not own a Bible. Now, I hunger for the Word of God and can't get enough of it. I have fully accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, whose death and resurrection provided forgiveness for my sins and the promise of eternal life with Him. I have consecrated my life to trusting and obeying God and His will. I believe that the date of my salvation is July 17, 2002, during Jim's underwater Memorial in Grand Cayman. I am a scuba diver, and on that dive I submerged into the water as one person and surfaced as another... God had made it completely clear to me that He wants to be in total control of my life and my future. I then invited Christ into my heart to begin the long (and ongoing) process of growing in grace and knowledge of Him, and I was baptized at Laurelton Park Baptist Church on October 5, 2003.
God gives me many opportunities to share the Gospel with others and to spread a crucial message of His hope to those who have none. God planted so many people in my life to help me through my darkest days, and I believe that He is now planting me in the lives of others. Whether it is through my books, my website, or my speaking engagements, my mission is to glorify and serve God, and to encourage others to draw closer to Him by going deeper into His Word and by a personal relationship with His Son. I know that the One who truly understands pain and loss - far more than any of us can ever fathom - will help me to accomplish that.
The following is my doctrinal statement (a more detailed statement is available upon request):
- I believe in a Triune God who eternally exists and manifests Himself to us in three persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit.
- I believe in the unique virgin birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ; His death and resurrection of His crucified body, His ascension into heaven, His imminent return, and His present ministry of intercession for us (1 Cor 15:1-8).
- I believe we are all sinners by nature and by choice and are therefore condemned to eternal ruin (Rom 6:23).
- I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins; and all who repent and believe in Him are justified solely on the grounds of His shed blood (Eph 2:8), and that they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and secured until the Day of redemption.
- I believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, the one rule of doctrine and duty, and our only divinely-inspired and infallible guide (2 Tim 3:16).
Visit www.lpbcnj.com for my home church information.